A plate of poffertjes, a knob of butter in the middle and lots of icing sugar on top. You can hardly make a child (and many an adult) happier than with this delicious old Dutch delicacy. Especially if you bake them yourself in a good poffertjes pan. We found out for you which pan to buy.
We bought ourselves a cast-iron poffertjes pan. At our place, every first Saturday of the month is poffertjes day. We sometimes eat them as described above, but often we think up all kinds of variations together with the children.
My “poffert-piccalilli” was rejected, but so far many creations have been well liked: delicious poffertjes with vanilla ice cream (an exceptional dessert), poffertjes with sprinkles, with pineapple, apple, you name it.
Every poffertjes day is a celebration. Especially in summer, when the barbecue can be lit. The children then bake their own poffertjes and dad puts a sausage next to the pan, just because they can. How happy we are with our poffertjes pan.
Baking poffertjes, what is the best poffertjes pan for you?
Which poffertjes pan is best to buy depends entirely on your situation and your needs. To help you choose, we put together a Top 10 of the best poffertjes pans for various situations.
The best poffertjes pan overall
Ronneby Bruk Maestro poffertjes pan
As the very best, the Ronneby Bruk Maestro poffertjes pan came out of our test. A Maestro for good reason, then! The beautiful cast-iron poffertjes pan is already burnt in by the manufacturer and thus ready for immediate use. Despite its compact size of 25 cm in diameter, you can still use it to fry 15 large poffertjes at a time.
The Ronneby Bruk Maestro fits on all heat sources and thanks to its size also on any barbecue. Besides, it is a beautiful pancake pan to look at, with its stainless steel handle (which does not get hot) on one side and the cast-on handle on the other. Highly recommended, of course, also because you simply bake the best poffertjes with it.
- Fits all heat sources, including induction, ceramic hob and barbecue
- Already burnt in by the manufacturer, therefore ready to use
- Compact size with attractive design
- Bakes 15 poffertjes of 4 cm at a time
- Substantially priced
- Not dishwasher safe
The best buy
Relance pancake plate
We think the pan with the best price/quality ratio is the one from Relance poffertjesplaat This poffertjesplaat made of cast iron allows you to bake 19 poffertjes at a time. It is rock solid, looks good and is not expensive. In fact, we also fell for the trendy colour of the enamel this pan comes in. Thanks to its flat bottom, the poffertjes pan is stable and can be used on any heat source, including induction and the barbecue.
The Relance poffertjes pan does need to be fired before use. This takes some time, but after that it will make perfect poffertjes for a lifetime. Be careful when moving the pan: the handles become hot. After use, simply wipe the poffertjes pan clean with a piece of kitchen roll.
- Affordable pan
- Sturdy cast iron, will last a lifetime
- You can bake electric, gas, ceramic and induction with this poffertjes pan
- Diameter 24 cm, so fits on barbecue
- Enamelled, so easy to clean, but not dishwasher safe
- Cast iron must be burnt in before first use
- Handles get hot
The best cheap
MCH Quality Poffertjes pan
Looking for a poffertjes pan with excellent value for money? This pan from MCH Quality Poffertjespan has a competitive price without compromising on quality. You prepare 19 poffertjes at a time in this cast iron pan. Besides the pan, you also receive silicone handles a basic recipe for poffertjes. Please note that other accessories are not included and should be purchased separately. Clean only with warm water and a dishwashing brush to protect the natural non-stick coating.
- Economical choice
- 19 poffertjes at a time
- Silicone handles
- Basic poffertjes recipe
- Cleaning is easy
- Made of cast iron
- Fewer accessories included
The best cast iron pan
The Windmill Poffertjes pan
If you are looking for a high-quality cast iron poffertjes pan, this one from The Windmill Poffertjes pan is an excellent choice. A cast iron pan is the best way to cook traditional poffertjes. You cook 19 poffertjes at a time and use the pan on gas, induction, open flame or the barbecue. Note that a cast-iron pan is heavy and needs to be burnt in before first use. Clean without soap and do not soak the pan to preserve the natural non-stick coating.
- For multiple heat sources
- High-quality cast iron
- Traditional poffertjes
- 19 at a time
- Good value for money
- Quick poffertjes on the table
- Burn-in required
- Follow special cleaning instructions
The best pure steel
De Buyer Mineral B Element
Use the pure steel De Buyer Mineral B Element poffertjes pan induction just like any other heat source. Essential is, that you burn this pan in well, just as you should do with cast iron pans. It is a pity that afterwards the beautiful stainless steel shine of the pan disappears, but it is really necessary for good results.
The pan is quite large, 27 cm in diameter, and it fries 16 delicious poffertjes at a time. Just be careful when frying: the handle gets hot. The advantage of pure steel over cast iron is that it heats up quickly. So you are frying quickly once the pan is well fired up. Cleaning is very easy: you let the pan cool down and rinse it under the tap (not in the dishwasher).
- Heats up quickly
- Suitable for all heat sources
- Makes 16 poffertjes at a time
- Easy to clean
- You have to burn in the pan
- Handle gets hot
The best with non-stick coating
Patisse poffertjes pan
The best non-stick poffertjes pan came out as the Patisse poffertjes pan. This aluminium pan is a lot cheaper than a cast-iron poffertjes pan, but unfortunately also limited in use.
Because the pan has a hollow bottom, you can actually only use it on a gas cooker, unlike most poffertjes pans. Still, this is a special pan, thanks to its excellent non-stick coating. In the blink of an eye, you make 19 poffertjes, good for two generous, bite-sized portions.
- Very cheap poffertjes pan
- Can handle high temperatures, up to 230 degrees
- Does not fry
- Plastic handle does not get hot
- Cannot be used on induction, electric or ceramic hobs
- Be careful not to damage the non-stick coating when turning the poffertjes
The best aluminium poffertjes pan
Scanpan poffertjes pan
If you are looking for a lightweight poffertjes pan, then the Scanpan is the best option. It is made of recycled aluminium and nice and compact. You will bake 9 hefty poffertjes at a time with it. The specially designed bottom ensures good heat distribution and the handle is heat-resistant.
The pan can therefore be used in the oven and on all heat sources except induction. The square Scanpan poffertjes pan has a non-stick coating, so the poffertjes release easily and you can use it to bake grease-free.
- Capacity 9 poffertjes
- Non-stick coating
- Oven-resistant up to 260 degrees
- Not suitable for induction, but can be used on a ceramic plate
The best poffertjes pan induction
MCH Quality Cast-iron Poffertjes pan
The cast iron poffertjes pan from MCH Quality Cast Iron Poffertjes Pan is suitable for all heat sources and can therefore also be used on induction. In addition to the pan, you also receive a dispensing bottle, brush, silicone handles and bamboo sticks. Whether you are looking for a poffertjes pan for Sunday morning or a children’s party, this one will allow you to bake 19 delicious, traditional poffertjes at a time. The non-stick coating makes cleaning as easy as possible and the pan is high quality.
- For all heat sources
- Accessories included
- Large dispensing bottle
- Natural non-stick coating
- High quality
- Basic recipe
- Some practice needed
The best for the barbecue
Boogoo Professional Poffertjes pan
The Boogoo Professional Poffertjes pan is not only suitable for induction, ceramic, electric and gas, but can also be used on the barbecue. You prepare 19 poffertjes at a time in the pan made of cast iron. All necessary accessories, such as a poffertjes fork, piping bag and grease brush, are included. Using the pan is extremely easy, as you do not need a dosing bottle and you prepare real, traditional poffertjes, just like at the market. You will find several tips and recipes in the manual.
- For all heat sources
- Also on barbecue
- Accessories included
- No dosing bottle needed
- Traditional poffertjes
- Manual with tips and recipes
- Not dishwasher-safe
The best gift set
Ocina Poffertjes pan Combo Pack
The Ocina Poffertjespan Combo Pack is an ideal gift for anyone who loves poffertjes! You will not only receive a poffertjes pan, but also a dispensing bottle, handles, 6 poffertjes forks, a grease brush and a free recipe book. You will use the cast iron poffertjes pan on any kind of cooker, including induction, and clean it easily. This package is a great gift for the whole family, as children also use the pan safely under parental supervision.
- Nice gift
- Including recipe book
- Various accessories
- Easy to clean
- For every cooker
- 19 poffertjes at a time
- Also fun for children
- Not dishwasher-safe
The ten best poffertjes pans in a row
As you can see, there is plenty of choice in poffertjes pans. To make choosing a little easier, here are the best 10 poffertjes pans.
A note: in this overview you will find the best pans by category, but the numbers two and three in our test are also worthwhile. Imperial Kitchen’s pans, for example, came second in several categories and yet you won’t find it among the best pans here.
Buying a poffertjes pan, what do you need to know?
You want to buy a poffertjes pan and, of course, bake the tastiest poffertjes with it. But which pan will you choose? Will it be a cast iron poffertjes pan, a steel or an aluminium poffertjes pan? Enamelled, non-stick or untreated? Or maybe you’re thinking of an electric poffertjes pan. In the latter case, we have to disappoint you, as the electric poffertjes pan is not part of the scope of this test. If you are not looking for an electric poffertjes pan, but still want to bake delicious old-fashioned poffertjes, read these tips:
- The material cast iron is porous. An untreated poffertjes pan therefore does not yet have the natural non-stick coating that develops through use. You must therefore burn in a cast-iron pancake pan. You can see how to do this in the frequently asked questions.
- If you want to use induction as a heat source for your poffertjes pan, buy one with a flat bottom. Aluminium is not magnetic, which is why you cannot use induction with an aluminium poffertjes pan.
- If you cook on induction, make sure you use a sturdy pan that does not deform. A pan with a hollow bottom will not work well on an induction hob.
How does roasting a cast iron poffertjes pan work?
A cast iron poffertjes pan should be fired before use. With that firing, you will create a natural non-stick layer in your poffertjes pan and also ensure that your poffertjes pan will last longer and not rust. Follow these steps when roasting:
- First clean the poffertjes pan thoroughly. to do this, use a soft sponge and hot water with a little washing-up liquid. Note: after burning in, never use dish soap to clean your poffertjes pan!
- Dry it with kitchen paper. If the poffertjes pan is clean, dry it well with a tea towel or kitchen paper. You can then grease the clean and dry poffertjes pan with oil. Use a neutral vegetable oil that can withstand high temperatures. So no olive oil, but use groundnut, sunflower or linseed oil, for example. Grease the whole pan, including the underside. Use a brush or a piece of kitchen paper.
- Then place the poffertjes pan upside down on a piece of aluminium foil in the oven (the foil ensures that no oil drips into oven). Put the oven as hot as possible and leave the poffertjes pan in it for about an hour, until no more oil is visible.
- Note: Sometimes cast-iron poffertjes pans have wooden or plastic parts, which cannot go in the oven. In that case, you can let the poffertjes pan get hot on the hob until the oil starts to smoke. Then let it stand for a while and then cool down. Wipe away any remaining oil with kitchen paper.
- For best results, do burn-in five times in a row.
Conclusion: buy a cast iron pancake pan
Fresh poffertjes are fine made with steel, aluminium and enamelled poffertjes pans. If that is your preference, you can buy them with confidence. But in our opinion, a cast iron poffertjes pan makes the tastiest poffertjes, closest to the authentic Dutch poffertjes you buy at the fair or braderie. Once the cast iron poffertjes plate or pan is well fired, you will make the most delicious poffertjes and enjoy this Dutch delicacy over and over again.
Frequently asked questions
To bake this typically Dutch delicacy at its very best, you need two things: a good poffertjes plate or pan and a good recipe. We will help you find the ideal poffertjes pan in this article. Recipes are plentiful on the internet and often, when you buy a poffertjes pan, you get a book or e-book with recipes specially made for those poffertjes. Feel free to experiment to ensure that your own poffertjes become an unforgettable snack.
With most poffertjes pans, you can bake poffertjes just fine on an electric hob. However, a plastic or wooden handle is recommended. For induction, you need a poffertjes pan that contains iron. Cast iron and steel pans are suitable for this, provided they have a flat bottom.
A poffertjes pan made of cast iron weighs between 2500 and 3500 grams on average. The weight of the poffertjes pan depends on the size of the pan and, for example, whether it has a cast iron or wooden handle. A poffertjes pan made of cast aluminium is a lot lighter.